Cummins School Community Library
The library provides a free library service to the community. It is located on the Cummins Area School grounds, on the corner of McFarlane Street and Firth Avenue in Cummins. The library is a joint use facility of the Lower Eyre Peninsula District Council and the Cummins Area School. It has a Board of Management with representation from the school, District Council and community. The service is managed by Teacher Librarians, Community Library Aides and School Support Officers, with the assistance of volunteers.
Please see contact details and opening times for the library and Coffin Bay depot below, noting the library is closed on Public Holidays.
School term hours
Monday 9am - 4pm
Tuesday 9am - 6pm
Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 6pm
Friday 9am - 5pm
Saturday 10am - 12pm
School holiday hours
Tuesday 9am - 1.30pm & 2.30pm - 6pm
Wednesday 12.30pm - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 1.30pm & 2.30pm - 5pm
Friday 9am - 1.30pm & 2.30pm - 5pm
Saturday 10am - 12pm
Coffin Bay depot
The Coffin Bay depot is located in the reading room at the entrance to the Coffin Bay Hall.
Saturday 10am - 12pm
Membership is free. New members need to produce identification showing their name, current address and signature. They will be issued with a personal library card, for use when borrowing items.
- Non - fiction
- DVDs & CDs
- Large print books
- Graphic novels
- Audio books
- Literacy packs
- Local history collection
- Information place
- Home Energy Toolkit - find out how to save energy at home www.sa.gov.au/energy/toolkit
Borrowing limits: A total of 6 items applies for a probationary period of 3 months. After 3 months the limit on most items is lifted, except for a limit of 6 DVDs per card.
Loans: 4 weeks for books, 2 weeks for DVDs, CDs & magazines, overnight for reference.
Returns: For your convenience a returns box is located at the Cummins Takeaway & Deli for ‘out of hour’ returns.
Renewals: Loans can be renewed, unless reserved by another borrower, by contacting the library.
Reservations: If the item you require is out on loan, you can place a reservation on it. We will notify you by email, sms or post when the item becomes available and will hold it for 7 days for you to collect.
Requests: If we do not have the item you require in our library please let us know and we will try to obtain it for you.
- Interlibrary loans to request items we don’t have from other South Australian libraries
- Access to free broadband and wireless Internet within the library
- Access to free online databases including PressDisplay (newspapers), World Book (encyclopedia), AncestryLibrary (genealogy), SAcommunity (for community information in SA)
- Office facilities
- computer use
- photocopying: A4 + A3 black & white and colour (costs apply)
- printing: A4 +A3 black & white and colour (costs apply)
- A4 + A3 laminating and binding (costs apply)
- Equipment & room hire
- Giant board games: available for use in the library
- Books for Babies: a library pack for new babies born into the district
- Outreach: library deliveries to the Cummins Homes, Cummins Hospital, Miroma Hostel and housebound members within the Cummins town limits
- Baby Bounce: rhythm and rhyme for 0-2 year olds in the library on Friday 9.30-10am during school terms
- Cummins Book Lovers: a book group which meets in the library at 8pm on the first Monday of each month
- Special events , displays and guest speakers
- Coffin Bay Depot at the Coffin Bay Hall
Keep updated with events
- At present Facebook is the most effective way to keep in touch with current library resources, services and events. Simply find ‘Cummins School Community Library’on facebook and like us.
- You may wish to contact the library and subscribe to our bi-monthly library newsletter ‘Keeping in Touch’.
On 22 August 2013 we joined the new South Australian ‘One Card’ public library system and our website www.libraries.sa.gov.au/cummins took on a new look with many links relevant to the Lower Eyre Peninsula district, including one to the library’s online catalogue. For more information about this system go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJrygaXae0