Covering 4,754 square kilometers with a resident population of 5014, the District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula is renowned for its magnificent rural and pristine coastal scenery, as well as thriving agricultural, fishing and tourism industries.
With 709 kilometers of coastline ranging from beautiful beaches to rugged cliffs, the Lower Eyre Peninsula's attractions are endless.
Major townships include the agricultural town of Cummins and the seaside town of Coffin Bay.
The District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula has evolved from the original District Council of Port Lincoln, which was proclaimed on the 1 January 1880, and comprised only of the Hundred of Lincoln.
The following adjustments were made to the original area of the District Council of Port Lincoln to create the current District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula :
05 January 1888
The District Council of Lincoln was extended to comprise the remainder of the County of Flinders to all surrounding islands, making a total area of 4,791 square kilometers. This followed the abolishment of the Local Roads Boards in 1887.
03 July 1890
Hundreds of Kiana, Mitchell and Shannon were added to the Council area. This created another 1,372 square kilometers.
21 June 1906
The Hundreds of Hutchison, Yaranyucka, Koppio and Stokes were severed from the District Council of Port Lincoln, and together with other areas, formed the new District Council of Tumby Bay.
18 August 1921
2,153 hectares was severed from the District Council of Port Lincoln to form the Corporate Town of Port Lincoln, and the then remainder became known as the District Council of Lincoln.
21 March 1935
1,214 hectares was severed from the Corporation of Port Lincoln and re-annexed to the District Council of Lincoln.
01 July 1981
1,970 hectares was severed from the District Council of Lincoln and annexed to the Corporation of the City of Port Lincoln.
01 July 1982
1,634 hectares was severed from the District Council of Lincoln and annexed to the District Council of Tumby Bay.
21 January 1988
The name of the District Council of Lincoln was changed to the District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula.
01 January 1989
As a result of a proclamation gazetted 19 November 1987, the Council area was divided into four wards, namely Lincoln Ward, Mortlock Ward, Mitchell Ward and Warrow Ward (prior to this the Council had operated under various ward structures with changes made periodically to the number of wards and elector representation of such wards).
The new wards are represented by seven Councillors.
The Council offices and chambers were located in Washington Street, Port Lincoln prior to 1949, when on December 5, the offices of the Council were transferred to Cummins and occupied the library room of the Cummins Institute. The Port Lincoln office was retained and today exists as a branch office.
New Council offices were built in Cummins at 32 Railway Terrace, and were opened on 30 April 1959.
Additions were built in 1977, when the Council Chambers were divided into offices and new Council Chambers were built at the rear of the building.
A major renovation of the offices was carried out in 1989, when partial demolition of the original structure occurred and new offices were built.